So I am at it again with the challenge thing. But April is going to be different…really! Instead of going at it alone, I am doing a squat challenge with my sister and a few friends (if they all commit!). Working out with others is a great way to stay motivated and committed, or at least I am hoping it is :). So I will be starting tomorrow morning with 30 squats…definitely doable.
About a year ago, I tried making mayonnaise using my food processor and blender. Both appliances got too warm and broke the emulsion (I think that’s what it’s called!), so I gave up after two failed attempts. Then I found a few recipes using an immersion blender and discovered how easy it was to make homemade mayo using this method. I love making this mayo. It is super easy and tasty! My husband likes this homemade mayo better than “regular” processed one on grocer store shelves. The best part it is there are only a few ingredients which are staples in most kitchens, and it really takes 1 minute to whip up.
Minute Mayo Recipe (Whole 30 friendly)
What you need…
- 1 large egg, at room temperature (I have also used an egg out of the fridge and it worked fine.)
- juice from half of a lemon
- squirt of Dijon mustard (about a tsp.)
- 1/2-1 tsp. of salt
- 1 cup mild tasting oil (I use walnut oil. Be careful not to make with regular olive oil…it doesn’t taste all that great. If using olive oil, get the light kind. You’ll thank me!)
What to do…
- In an immersion blender cup/container thing, crack the egg. Add the lemon juice (watch for seeds!), mustard and salt.
- Place the immersion blender into the cup/container and begin to blend.
- With the blender running, slowly pour in the oil. It will take 10-15 seconds before it begins to emulsify. Keep pouring the oil until all has been added.
- Continue to blend until all the oil has been combined.
- Place in a container and refrigerate.
Some people say it can be kept in the fridge for one week and others say up to three weeks. When it starts to smell funky or tastes weird, it’s time to make a new batch…if it lasts that long.