One of our favorite summertime meals was taco salad. We thought that this would be an occasional treat since going Paleo because it contained many non-Paleo foods like kidney beans, store bought Catalina dressing, and tortilla chips. I was determined to make a dressing that tasted similar to our store bought dressing. I succeeded today! We are happily eating taco salad again minus a few items but we don’t even miss them!
- 1/3 c. ketchup
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- 1/4 c.coconut palm sugar (could probably sub raw honey or maple syrup but not sure about the taste since I haven’t tried either one yet)
- 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar (I actually used coconut vinegar because it was what I had in the cabinet.)
- 1/2 TB. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. celery salt
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. paprika (I ended up using smoked paprika because it is what I had.)
- fresh ground black pepper
What to do…
- Throw everything into Magic Bullet and blend away.
- Use immediately or store in refrigerator for later use 🙂
When I make taco salad now I include: cooked ground beef, chopped romaine lettuce, sliced black olives, avocado and for my hubby and kids grated raw cheddar cheese. My daughter, Sarah, has never been one for salad dressing on her taco salad, so I had her try salsa today and she loved it. Another option if you are trying to avoid the sugar!